Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Books and articles on protecting children, training them, and caring for abused children.
The month of April has been designated Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) in the U.S. The goal of SAAM is to raise public awareness about sexual violence and to educate communities and individuals on how to prevent sexual violence.
The campaign this year is child sexual abuse prevention. Here are some resources I wanted to make available on this issue.
Rid of My Disgrace
In honor of SAAM, the ebook edition of Rid of My Disgrace is available for $0.99 until Monday, April 8th.
Posts On Protecting Children
- “5 Things You Should Know About Child Sexual Offenders“
- “Prevention Tips”
- “Red Flags & Warning Signs”
- “The Super-Ten, Play-It-Safe Rules for Kids and Grownups!”
- “‘Tricky People’ Are the New Strangers”
- “Everyday Actions to Keep Your Kids Safe”
- “Counseling Abused Children”
- “8 Ways To Protect Your Children From Sexual Abuse“
- “Advice For Pastors In Caring For Victims of Sexual Assault“
Recommended Reading On Training Your Children
- NO Trespassing – This Is MY Body! by Pattie Fitzgerald
- The Story of Me by Stan and Brenna Jones
- My Body is Special: A Family Book About Sexual Abuse by Cynthia Geisen
- It’s My Body by Lory Britain
- My Body Is Private by Linda Walvoord Girard
- Your Body Belongs To You by Cornelia Spelman
- Amazing You! Getting Smart About Your Private Parts by Gail Saltz (author) and Lynne Woodcock Cravath (illustrator)
- Some Parts Are Not For Sharing by Julie Federico
Recommended Reading On Caring For Your Child If They Have Been Abused
- Helping Your Child Recover from Sexual Abuse, by Caren Adams and Jennifer Fay
- How Long Does It Hurt: A Guide to Recovering from Incest and Sexual Abuse for Teenagers, Their Friends, and Their Families, by Cynthia L. Mather, et al.
- When Your Child Has Been Molested: A Parents’ Guide to Healing and Recovery, by Kathryn Brohl and Joyce Case Potter
Resources From GRACE
- “Suffer the Children: Developing Effective Church Policies on Child Maltreatment“
- “What Forgiveness Isn’t”
- “Sexual Abuse in Christian Organizations”
- “Sexual Abuse and Formation”
The Respond Conference
Matt Chandler, Greg Love, Paul Tripp, and myself will speak at Respond—a free, one-day conference at The Village Church advocating a biblical response to sexual assault.